Everyone loves a secret. Mayfair Dressing is one of those 'secret recipes'. A secret that everyone had. I remember my father pulling out an index card with a carefully written recipe on it. A recipe half of St. Louis had.
The Mayfair Hotel was THE place for events or for A listers to stay in St. Louis.
Here is my copy from Helen Fletcher, Check out her food blog.
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 ounces canned anchovies rinsed in hot water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- Place all but the mayonnaise in a food processor or blender. Using the processor gives the dressing some texture; using the blender will make it perfectly smooth. It's your choice.
- Process to puree.
- Add 1/2 cup of the mayonnaise to the processor or blender, then process.
- Whisk in the remaining 1 cup mayonnaise by hand.
Original Mayfair Salad
- Romaine lettuce
- Ham, julienned
- Swiss Cheese, julienned
- Mayfair Dressing